Benefits for student parents

Besides child benefit and  childcare allowance in regard to BAföG, there are further governmental benefits:

Alimony advance
Maternity benefit
Parental allowance
Children’s allowance

Federal Foundation Mother and Child
Foundation Families in Distress

‘Educational Package‘-benefits for education and participation


Alimony advance

Alimony advance is provided if the child does not receive maintenance on a regular basis by the other parent. If the other parent is financially able but not willing to pay, the provided alimony advance will be reclaimed from him/her.

Single parents can apply for alimony advance at the responsible youth welfare office, if the defaulting parent does not fulfil the payment obligations or not to the full extent, respectively.

Under certain conditions the entitlement to alimony advance is ruled out. This is for example the case if information on the defaulting parent or the cooperation in regard to determination of the other parent or the paternity are refused.

If the single parent is entitled to child benefit, the alimony advance for children under six years amounts to 145 euros and for children from six to twelve years to 194 euros per month.

The maximum payment duration of alimony advance is six years. The payments end the latest with the 12th birthday of the child.

It has to be taken in mind that advance alimony is possibly set off against income support and other social benefits.

The application for alimony advance must be handed in at the responsible youth welfare office in written form.


District of Goslar

Maternity benefit

The maternity benefit is paid fort he duration of the maternity protection period, if an employment relationship exists at the beginning of the protection period.

Depending on the kind of health insurance, the application must be made either at the health insurance or at the Federal Insurance Office.


Parental allowance

Parental allowance is a wage compensation depending on the net income. It is designed for parents who have no or no full-time employment due to childcare.

There is an entitlement to parental allowance for a parent, who

  • has residence / habitual abode at the Federal Republic of Germany,
  • mainly brings up and cares for the child,
  • has primary care and custody for the child,
  • lives in one household with the child and
  • who is not employed or
  • does not work more than 30 hours part-time per week.

(Basic) parental allowance is paid for 12, or, if the two ’partner months’ are made use of, for 14 months, by the parental allowance office of the responsible youth welfare office. Single parents can make use of the complete 14 months of parental allowance.

The parental allowance cushions a loss of income after the birth of the child and amounts to 65% – 100% of the former net wage, however 1,800 euros maximum and 300 euros minimum. Families with several children receive a sibling bonus.

Who as a student did not have an earned income before, is entitled to the minimum payment of 300 euros but does not have the option to extend the duration to 14 months.

ParentalAllowancePlus: primarily, parents working part-time during the receipt of parental allowance benefit profit from ParentalAllowancePlus. Here, the maximum period of benefit can be extended beyond the child’s 14th month of life up to the age of 24 months. The monthly payment is 150 euros minimum and 900 euros maximum.

Parental allowance is set off against unemployment benefit IIsocial welfare and children’s allowance.

With the minimum sums, there is no set-off against BAföG (i.e. no set-off with 300 euros basic parental allowance or with 150 euros ParentalAllowancePlus).

Parental allowance at the district of Landkreis Goslar



Children’s allowance

Children’s allowance is a supplementary benefit to the child benefit for children’s allowance for low-earning parents.

Children’s allowance is provided for parents, who live in one household with their children and whose income and assets suffice to cover the own need, but not the need of their minor children.

The minimum monthly income for parents is 900 euros, for single parents 600 euros (child benefit and  housing allowance are not taken into account in this case). Parents are only entitled to children’s allowance if their monthly income reaches the respective minimum monthly income.

If children have considerable income or assets of their own amounting to 140 euros (e.g. through maintenace payments), children’s allowance is not paid.

A simultaneous receipt of unemployment benefit II/income support or respectively provisions of  social welfare and children’s allowance is not possible.

The application must be made at the family benefits department of the according employment agency.

Family Benefits Department Lower Saxony – Bremen


Federal Foundation Mother and Child

The means of the Bundesstiftung „Mutter und Kind – Schutz des ungeborenen Lebens” (Federal Foundation ’Mother and Child – Protection of Unborn Life’ are a supplementary financial aid für pregnant women in distress, if the income does not cover the financial needs for pregnancy, delivery as well as care and upbringing  of the infant and if other state benefits are not available in time or on a sufficient scale.

Since 1984, the federal foundation helps pregnant women in distress. They receive supplementary financial aids in an unbureaucratic way, which are meant to make it easier for them to decide in favour of the child’s life and the continuation of the pregnancy.

The foundation’s means can be granted for expenses that arise in relation to pregnancy, delivery as well as care and upbringing of the infant. That particularly includes the basic equipment for the baby, the continuation of the household, the flat and its equipment or the care for the infant and the toddler.

Amount and duration of the support accord to the special circumstances of the personal distress. That is why the decision lies with the grantees of the federal foundation on the national level.

There is no legal entitlement to support through means of the federal foundation. If means are granted by the foundation, they must not be impounded or set off against social benefits.


This foundation was established in 1978 by the state government of Lower ny and supports mainly families with many children, single parents and expectant women, who have their habitual abode in Lower Saxony, are in financial distress due to unforeseeable events and do not receive support from any other source.


Foundation Families in Distress

The Foundation Families in Distress helps by means of regulated financial grants and interest-free loans to overcome family distress.

This foundation was established in 1978 by the state government of Lower Saxony and supports mainly families with many children, single parents and expectant women, who have their habitual abode in Lower Saxony, are in financial distress due to unforeseeable events and do not receive support from any other source.

Support can be granted e.g. for

  • the acquisition or maintenace of a flat after a divorce or separation by taking over rental collateral and costs for renovation and relocation
  • child-care fees in order to finish education or to enable reintegration into working life.

For further information see Lower Saxony Ministry for Labour, Health and Equality.


’Education Package‘-benefits for education and participation

Persons who receive  children’s allowance or  housing allowance for all their children living in the household, unemployment benefit IIincome support or  social welfare are entitled to education- and participation benefits.

That includes e.g.

  • school trips,
  • school supplies,
  • subsidies of travels to school,
  • learning support.

Persons who receive unemployment benefit II or income support have to apply for this benefit at the according job agency, persons who receive social welfare apply at the social welfare office. Persons who receive housing allowance or children’s allowance have to contact the housing allowance department or the family office.

For further information see Familien-Wegweiser of the Federal Ministry.